19 January 2009

No TV

When I was a kid, I was a real telly addict. I could tell you what program was on, what day, time and channel (not as impressive as it may sound - there were only three channels when I was growing up!)

In the last few years, I've watched a lot less TV, but it is always on, if only for the light it gives and background noise. Last year, for Lent, one of my Lenten penances was to give up TV. By the end of Lent, I had lost all interest in TV. So, over the last year, my TV viewing has been sporadic, what I tend to watch mostly is sport. I decided last week to go the whole hog, and cancel my TV subscription. All that is left is the free to view channels.

I'm seriously thinking now of selling my TV set, so I won't even be watching the free channels anymore. Anything I must see, can be watched online via the download services; for the EWTN programs I like, I can view from their website.

Although my viewing habits have reduced a lot, not actually having the TV to watch is going to be hard to get used to. It's very quiet, and the corner where the TV stands appears dark.

edit: It's annoying that at this moment my stereo unit has decided to play up, my speakers are not working! No radio now either!

No comments: